Through the Eyes of a Child



In 2011 when my now husband and I planned our wedding one thing we really wanted to do was capture memories of our family.  We had a professional photographer on site but we also gave every child in attendance a camera so we could see what they captured and what was most important to them.

One of our Arizonans for Children Mentors Kelly recently shared a post that had me reflecting on this special time in my life and looking through our pictures.

Kelly said "My mentee wanted to me to take photos of him so that he could give them to his family...but, when I handed him my camera he fell in love with it! He said it was one of his favorite things to do that day! Now I have lots of photos of my family, thanks to my personal paparazzi! 😂 "

Arizonans for Children Mentors have such a wonderful opportunity to discover and re-discover through the eyes of their mentee.  When we stop and see what is the most important to the child then our perspective shifts.  The time spent together and capturing those memories, being a part of something other than the foster care system, knowing the person wants to spend time with them creates the type of memories that heal.

Being a Mentor to a child in foster care doesn't have to cost a lot of money and doesn't require a ton of time.  Just 8 hours a month and a year commitment.  That is all it takes to create the type of memories that these kids will capture....in their hearts if not on film.

If you would like to start the process of becoming a Mentor - fill out the volunteer application at:


Of all the hundreds of pictures from our wedding the two below snapped by our granddaughter are our very favorite. With a disposable camera in hand, seeing her Papou and Laura so happy and in love was important enough to her to capture it on film.  








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Father's Day at Arizonans for Children

Goat Yoga!

What a weekend at Arizonans for Children! Technology, technology and more technology!